Sunday, February 2, 2014

Blog Assignment #3

Peer Editing. It has been used in schools as long as I can remember. As much as some students dreaded it, I was okay with it- probably because I was (still sometimes am) a "Grammar Nazi." My mother is an English teacher, after all. However, no one is perfect. I have a habit of putting too many commas in my writing and sometimes I get confused on where to put punctuation marks, whether inside the quotation marks or outside. Anyways, peer editing and review can be tricky. Like the presentations communicated, constructive criticism is very important. As the video What is Peer Editing? and the presentation Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial stressed, staying positive, being specific, and following the three steps are very important to peer editing. The three steps are compliments, suggestions, and corrections. Peer Editing is very useful. It allows others to view your work and see mistakes that you might not have seen yourself.

Political Cartoon of a person trying to get his paper peer reviewed before it being accepted


Peer editing is a useful tool, when used correctly. The video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes outlines the do's and don't's of peer editing. I found this video absolutely hilarious and extremely helpful- I even sent it to my mother so she could show her classes. But let's face it, we have all been paired with one of the types of people outlined in the video. Their criticisms are often unhelpful and hurtful. It is very important to stay positive throughout the whole process! Even when you see someone's work that has numerous errors, go through one by one with them and show them the correct way. All of these presentations were extremely helpful in reviewing a peer's work.

Thanks for reading!

Jennah Rose

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jennah,
    I think you made an great point in your blogpost when you said "no one is perfect", and I think everyone can benefit from peer editing! I definitely agree with you that the focus should be on staying positive, and when peer editing is done effectively, it can help both students to become better writers. I also liked your suggestion about breaking down the corrections one by one instead of immediately listing everything that is wrong with someone's work because that might be discouraging. I enjoyed reading your post, and all of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine. Nice job having working links and alt/title modifiers on your picture!

    ReplyDelete